Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery
CALL TO ARTISTS
EXHIBIT YOUR ART AT THE WAP GALLERY
The Wheaton Arts Parade (WAP) Gallery will open a new exhibit on February 5. This is an opportunity for up to six local artists to join the 20 artists currently exhibiting to show their original, professional quality artwork - oil paintings, acrylics, watercolors, mixed media, photographs and sculptures.
If you are interested, please send an email no later than January 20 to using the subject: Gallery Interest and attach a few representative images of your artwork and a brief bio or a link to your website or Facebook or Instagram pages. New artists will be considered on a first come, first serve basis.
The gallery depends on its artists to staff the gallery and in exchange they pay only a minimal 10% commission on their sales revenue and a fee of $25 per month. Each exhibiting artist is required to volunteer 12 hours per month managing the gallery or 8 hours per month with a fee of $35.
The WAP Gallery reserves the right to determine what artwork will be exhibited based on size, medium, and content in an effort to maintain a diverse representation of local artists. We try to make gallery space available for each artist to exhibit at least 3 works averaging approximately 24"x 30" in size. We also allow bins for prints and there is storage space for additional work to replace inventory that is sold.
The mission of the WAP Gallery is to showcase local artists from Montgomery County, MD and Wheaton's potential as an arts destination. The gallery is part of a year-long effort to rally artists and residents to celebrate art and community at the annual Wheaton Arts Parade & Festival that takes place each September. Wheaton Arts Parade is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. WAP activities are supported in part by grants from the Arts & Humanities Council of Montgomery County and the Maryland State Arts Council.
Sample Art Consignment Agreement Between
WHEATON ARTS PARADE
2801 Elnora St
Wheaton, MD 20902
The above named parties hereby enter into the following Agreement:
1. Agency/Purposes. The Artist appoints the Wheaton Arts Parade, hereafter, the Gallery, as agent for the works of art (“the Artworks”) consigned under the Agreement, for the purposes of exhibition and sale at the Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery, Westfield Wheaton Mall, Wheaton, MD. The Gallery shall not permit the Artworks to be used for any other purposes without the written consent of the Artist.
2. Consignment. The Artist hereby consigns to the Gallery and the Gallery accepts on consignment, those Artworks listed on the inventory submitted on-line by the artist.
3. Warranty. The Artist hereby warrants that he/she created and possesses unencumbered title to the Artworks and that their descriptions are true and accurate.
4. Duration of Consignment. The Artist and the Gallery agree that the term of consignment for the Artworks is 3 months from November 2019 through January 2020. This agreement shall remain in effect unless terminated in writing by either party.
5. Display. All works submitted for display shall be display-ready adhering to the policies of the Gallery. The Gallery maintains sole control over the display, placement, lighting and labeling of the artwork under consignment. Art for hanging in the Gallery shall be appropriate for the Gallery’s system of hanging to include wire or saw toothed hanger. If unframed works are submitted all edges shall be completed utilizing the medium used to create the work. Artists selling prints shall provide a standard bin (20x24x36, black with steel frame) and an inventory of prints. All prints shall be protected by a plastic sleeve to prevent soil and or damage. All prices need to be marked on the back.
6. Transportation Responsibilities. Arrangements for, packing and shipping charges, insurance costs, other handling expenses, and risk of loss or damage incurred in the delivery of Artworks from the Artist to the Gallery and in their return to the Artist shall be the responsibility of the Artist. If anyone other than the Artist is to pick up works of art, written authorization from the Artist must be presented by the person picking up the works. All responsibility for the safe transfer of the Artworks remains with the Artist.
7. Responsibility for Loss or Damage, Insurance Coverage. The Gallery shall not be responsible for the safekeeping of consigned Artworks while they are in its custody. Due to the Gallery’s inability to establish value of consigned Artwork for insurance purposes, the Artist shall be required to maintain insurance coverage at his or her discretion. The Gallery assumes no liability for losses or damage that may occur.
8. Fiduciary Responsibilities. The Gallery shall pay all amounts due the Artist before any sale proceeds are made available to creditors of the Gallery.
9. Pricing/Payment; Gallery’s Commission; Terms of Payment. The Gallery shall sell the Artworks only at the Retail Price specified by the Artist. Any change in the Retail Price or in the Gallery’s commission must be agreed to in advance by the Artist and the Gallery. The Gallery’s commission on the Artist’s monthly sales is 10%. Fees charged by Square for credit card purchases will be deducted from the sales revenue before the gallery commission is calculated. Payment to the Artist shall be made by the 15th of the month following the month of sale. Artist payouts of less than $20 may be accrued until that amount is reached or no later than three months.
10. Staffing Hours & Monthly Fee. The Artist agrees to volunteer to staff the Gallery for at least 8 hours per month and to sign up for shifts using SignUp.com. If an Artist volunteers for 12 hours per month, the monthly fee shall be $25. If an Artist volunteers for 8 hours per month, the monthly fee shall be $35. If an Artist is unable to serve the minimum 8 hours per month, the Gallery reserves the right to place the Artist’s artwork in storage. If an Artist terminates this agreement without serving his/her staffing hours, the monthly fee must be paid before the Artist removes his/her artwork from the Gallery. If an Artist is unable to volunteer to staff the Gallery for medical reasons, the staffing requirement may be waived by the Gallery and the monthly fee shall be $45.
11. Title to Artwork. Title to each of the Artworks (prints and photographs excluded) remains with the Artist until the Artwork is sold. Title then passes directly to the purchaser. Title passes directly to the Gallery for items not picked-up by the Artist within 30 days following the end of the consignment agreement or other mutually agreed upon date.
12. Removal from Gallery. The Gallery shall not lend out, remove from the premises, or sell on approval any of the Artworks without first obtaining written permission from the Artist.
13. Promotion. The Gallery shall use its best efforts to promote the sale of the Artworks. The Gallery agrees to provide adequate display of the Artworks and to undertake other promotional activities on the Artist’s behalf. The Gallery shall identify clearly all Artworks with the Artist’s name and the Artist’s name shall be included on the bill of sale of each of the Artworks.
14. Reproduction. The Artist reserves all rights to the reproduction of the Artworks except as noted in writing to the contrary. The Gallery assumes the right to use images of artwork to publicize and promote the Artworks through social media, web page, print advertising and newsletters. In every instance of such use, the Artist shall be acknowledged as the creator and copyright owner of the Artwork.
15. Accounting. A statement of accounts for all sales of the Artworks shall be furnished by the Gallery to the Artist on a regular basis as indicated under section 9 of this agreement. The Artist shall have the right to inventory his or her Artworks in the Gallery and to inspect any books and records pertaining to sales of the Artwork.
16. Termination of Agreement. Notwithstanding any other provision of this agreement, the Agreement may be terminated at any time by either the Gallery or the Artist by means of written notification of termination from either party to the other. In the event of the Artist’s death, the estate of the Artist shall have the right to terminate the Agreement. Within thirty days of the notification of termination, all accounts shall be settled and all unsold Artworks shall be returned by the Gallery.
17. Procedures for Modification. Amendments to this Agreement must be signed by both Artist and Gallery and attached to this Agreement. Both parties must initial any deletions made on this form and any additional provisions written onto it.
18. Miscellany. This Agreement represents the entire agreement between the Artist and the Gallery. If any part of this agreement is held to be illegal, void, or unenforceable in relation to any other part: in such case, the document shall be construed as if such invalid or unenforceable provision had not been included. A waiver of any breach of any of the provisions of this Agreement shall not be construed as a continuing waiver of other breaches of the same provision or other provisions hereof. This Agreement shall not be assigned, nor shall it inure to the benefit of the successors of the Gallery, whether by operation of law or otherwise, without the prior written consent of the Artist.
19. Law. This Agreement shall be governed by the law of the State of Maryland.
20. A copy of this agreement must be on file at The Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery, Wheaton, MD before art is displayed. This agreement only needs to be filed once unless changes to this agreement are made.