Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery
How to Exhibit Your Art
It has been an unprecedented time, filled with uncertainty. Now, more than ever, WAP urges you to express yourself in your art and to share your work with the community as we celebrate the holiday season from Thanksgiving to the New Year. Artists are encouraged to find unique ways to interpret and express this theme of celebration to the public. Wheaton Arts Parade was founded on the dream of having a parade of the arts to celebrate Wheaton's cultural diversity and its local artists. WAP invites you to take this opportunity to celebrate this holiday season with your art.
The Wheaton Arts Parade (WAP) Gallery will exhibit our new “Celebration” show from November through January both at our Gallery located in Westfield Wheaton Mall and online. This is an opportunity for local artists to exhibit their professional quality artwork - oil paintings, acrylics, watercolors, mixed media, photographs and sculptures.
If you are interested, please fill out the WAP Gallery Exhibitor's Application no later than October 20th. New artists will be considered on a first come, first serve basis. WAP will provide artists with further instructions on how and when to deliver their artwork and a copy of the consignment agreement.
Artist’s Fee & Gallery Commission:
During Phase II of the COVID-19 recovery, the monthly fee is $40 for artists who are unable to help staff the gallery. The monthly fee is $20 for artists who volunteer to staff the gallery for at least 8 hours each month. There is no monthly fee for artists who volunteer for at least 12 hours each month. The commission on all sales will remain 10%.
The WAP Gallery reserves the right to determine what artwork will be exhibited based on size, medium, and content in an effort to maintain a diverse representation of local artists. We try to make gallery space available for each artist to exhibit at least 4 works averaging approximately 24"x 30" in size. We also allow bins for prints and there is storage space for additional work to replace inventory that is sold. Prints are not currently exhibited in the online store. You can see a list of the WAP Gallery artists and images of some of their work on display at: https://www.wheatonartsparade.org/gallery
WAP Mission & Sponsors:
The mission of the WAP Gallery is to showcase local artists from Montgomery County, to celebrate Wheaton’s diverse cultures, and to demonstrate Wheaton's potential as an arts destination. The WAP Gallery is made possible through the donation of storefront space from Westfield Wheaton and is part of a year-long effort to rally artists and residents to celebrate art and community at the annual Wheaton Arts Parade & Festival that has taken place every September since 2017. Wheaton Arts Parade is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. WAP activities are supported in part by grants from the Arts & Humanities Council of Montgomery County, the Maryland State Arts Council, and our local businesses, arts organizations, community organizations and county government.
Sample Art Consignment Agreement Between
WHEATON ARTS PARADE
The above named parties hereby enter into the following Agreement:
1. Agency/Purposes. The Artist appoints the Wheaton Arts Parade, hereafter, the Gallery, as agent for the works of art (“the Artworks”) consigned under the Agreement, for the purposes of exhibition and sale at the Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery, Westfield Wheaton Mall, Wheaton, MD. The Gallery shall not permit the Artworks to be used for any other purposes without the written consent of the Artist.
2. Consignment. The Artist hereby consigns to the Gallery and the Gallery accepts on consignment, those Artworks listed on the inventory submitted on-line by the artist.
3. Warranty. The Artist hereby warrants that he/she created and possesses unencumbered title to the Artworks and that their descriptions are true and accurate.
4. Duration of Consignment. The Artist and the Gallery agree that the term of consignment for the Artworks is 3 months from November 1, 2020 to January 31, 2021. This agreement shall remain in effect unless terminated in writing by either party.
5. Display. All works submitted for display shall be display-ready adhering to the policies of the Gallery. The Gallery maintains sole control over the display, placement, lighting and labeling of the artwork under consignment. Art for hanging in the Gallery shall be appropriate for the Gallery’s system of hanging to include wire or saw toothed hanger. If unframed works are submitted all edges shall be completed utilizing the medium used to create the work. Artists selling prints shall provide a standard bin (20x24x36, black with steel frame) and an inventory of prints. All prints shall be protected by a plastic sleeve to prevent soil and or damage. All prices need to be marked on the back.
6. Virtual Gallery. All artwork exhibited at the WAP Gallery will also be posted on the WAP on-line store. Artists are responsible for providing the Gallery with a high quality digital image of their artwork. It should be uploaded with the artist’s registration form.
7. Transportation Responsibilities. Arrangements for, packing and shipping charges, insurance costs, other handling expenses, and risk of loss or damage incurred in the delivery of Artworks from the Artist to the Gallery and in their return to the Artist shall be the responsibility of the Artist. If anyone other than the Artist is to pick up works of art, written authorization from the Artist must be presented by the person picking up the works. All responsibility for the safe transfer of the Artworks remains with the Artist.
8. Responsibility for Loss or Damage, Insurance Coverage. The Gallery shall not be responsible for the safekeeping of consigned Artworks while they are in its custody. Due to the Gallery’s inability to establish value of consigned Artwork for insurance purposes, the Artist shall be required to maintain insurance coverage at his or her discretion. The Gallery assumes no liability for losses or damage that may occur.
9. Fiduciary Responsibilities. The Gallery shall pay all amounts due the Artist before any sale proceeds are made available to creditors of the Gallery.
10. Pricing/Payment; Gallery’s Commission; Terms of Payment. The Gallery shall sell the Artworks only at the Retail Price specified by the Artist. Any change in the Retail Price or in the Gallery’s commission must be agreed to in advance by the Artist and the Gallery. The Gallery’s commission on the Artist’s monthly sales is 10%. Fees charged by Square for credit card purchases will be deducted from the sales revenue before the gallery commission is calculated. Payment to the Artist shall be made by the 15th of the month following the month of sale. Artist payouts of less than $20 may be accrued until that amount is reached or no later than three months. All artwork on exhibit in the WAP Gallery's on-line store during the 3-month exhibit is subject to the 10% commission regardless of how it is sold such as privately by the artist or through some other commercial platform.
11. Monthly Fee. The monthly fee for the physical and virtual gallery is $40 for artists unable to volunteer to staff the gallery. The monthly fee is $20 for artists who volunteer for at least 8 hours. There is no monthly fee for artists who volunteer for at least 12 hours.
12. Staffing the Gallery. Artists who volunteer to staff the Gallery agree to sign up for shifts using SignUp.com. The Artists agrees to follow Gallery procedures for maintaining sanitary conditions including wearing a mask and sanitizing hands and surfaces regularly.
13. Title to Artwork. Title to each of the Artworks (prints and photographs excluded) remains with the Artist until the Artwork is sold. Title then passes directly to the purchaser. Title passes directly to the Gallery for items not picked-up by the Artist within 30 days following the end of the consignment agreement or other mutually agreed upon date.
14. Removal from Gallery. The Gallery shall not lend out, remove from the premises, or sell on approval any of the Artworks without first obtaining written permission from the Artist.
15. Promotion. The Gallery shall use its best efforts to promote the sale of the Artworks. The Gallery agrees to provide adequate display of the Artworks and to undertake other promotional activities on the Artist’s behalf. The Gallery shall identify clearly all Artworks with the Artist’s name and the Artist’s name shall be included on the bill of sale of each of the Artworks.
16. Reproduction. The Artist reserves all rights to the reproduction of the Artworks except as noted in writing to the contrary. The Gallery assumes the right to use images of artwork to publicize and promote the Artworks through social media, web page, print advertising and newsletters. In every instance of such use, the Artist shall be acknowledged as the creator and copyright owner of the Artwork.
17. Accounting. A statement of accounts for all sales of the Artworks shall be furnished by the Gallery to the Artist on a regular basis as indicated under section 10 of this agreement. The Artist shall have the right to inventory his or her Artworks in the Gallery and to inspect any books and records pertaining to sales of the Artwork.
18. Termination of Agreement. Notwithstanding any other provision of this agreement, the Agreement may be terminated at any time by either the Gallery or the Artist by means of written notification of termination from either party to the other. In the event of the Artist’s death, the estate of the Artist shall have the right to terminate the Agreement. Within thirty days of the notification of termination, all accounts shall be settled and all unsold Artworks shall be returned by the Gallery.
19. Procedures for Modification. Amendments to this Agreement must be signed by both Artist and Gallery and attached to this Agreement. Both parties must initial any deletions made on this form and any additional provisions written onto it.
20. Miscellany. This Agreement represents the entire agreement between the Artist and the Gallery. If any part of this agreement is held to be illegal, void, or unenforceable in relation to any other part: in such case, the document shall be construed as if such invalid or unenforceable provision had not been included. A waiver of any breach of any of the provisions of this Agreement shall not be construed as a continuing waiver of other breaches of the same provision or other provisions hereof. This Agreement shall not be assigned, nor shall it inure to the benefit of the successors of the Gallery, whether by operation of law or otherwise, without the prior written consent of the Artist.
21. Law. This Agreement shall be governed by the law of the State of Maryland.
22. A copy of this agreement shall be on file at The Wheaton Arts Parade Gallery, Wheaton, MD before art is displayed. This agreement only needs to be filed once and will apply to future shows unless changes to this agreement are made or unless the artist takes a leave from exhibiting at the gallery.
23. The Artist will volunteer to staff the Gallery for: 0 hrs / 8 hrs / 12 hrs per month. (Circle one.)